Wireless is the new step in technology which has emerged in the last two decades and still increasing hysterically. This has led to many problems where wires are important to connect things.
One of the significant things is to connect a printer with a drive-less laptop.
Latest laptops and computers don’t have the drive to install a printers-based DVD or CD-ROM. The good thing is that printer manufacturers provide printer drivers online and you can also share an optical drive with another computer if you have special software.
Note: The laptop on which you’re installing the printer software must be connected to the same network your printer is connected to.
Now let’s see the drivers through which you can install a printer on a wireless laptop.
Operating System Driver
There are many printer drivers already installed in your operating system which allows you to simply connect to the printer and install it automatically. But, if the driver is not installed then you can get it by simply updating your laptop.
If you are a Windows user, then you can use the Windows update option to download and install the updates including printer driver update. Once it is done, you can connect your laptop to the printer and check its installations.
Printer Manufacturer Driver
If the first option does not give the printer installation via Windows update, you can now visit your printer manufacturer website and download it directly.
You need the right model number of your printer to search for the correct drivers. Once you get the right driver, download it and run the file on your computer. Follow the instructions specified in the guide.
You don’t need to connect the printer to your laptop when you’re installing the driver yet comply with all the instructions is quite important to get the fine results.
If your laptop is not connecting to the internet then you can download the printer drivers to another laptop or computer and copy it to a USB drive to be used hereafter.
Now connect the flash drive to your laptop where you want to install the printer driver and run the installation process. Follow the process explained in the guide and check the successful installation.
Note: Make sure that you’re installing the driver compatible to your laptop, not the driver for the laptop or computer where you download it in the first place.
Disk Drive Sharing
For the laptop without a drive, Windows sharing is another good option to use a drive of another system on your laptop. You need to follow these steps:
- Go to the computer or laptop window
- Right-click on the drive to share on another network
- Click Sharing
You can limit access to the specific drives on other networks. Once you have completed the sharing step, insert the installation disc into the computer and access the disc from your laptop. Now you can install the printer driver on your drive-less laptop.
USB Printer Setup
You can also use a printer with a USB port to install it in your drive less laptop or computer. You need to follow these instructions:
- Delete any previously installed printer setup from your system.
- Before plugging the printer into the USB hub in your laptop, make sure to turn your printer On.
- If you have connected the USB printer with your laptop then Disconnect it. It will be connected in the later steps of driver installation.
- Go to the Devices and Printers in the Control Panel settings.
- Right-click on your printer model and select Remove Device. Remove all other various icons for the printer.
- Now close this window.
To install the setup, there are different ways set by each printer manufacturer accordingly. You need to follow the instructions given by your printer manufacturer at their respective website.
Note: You can install HP printer software on your laptop.
Installing the Printer
There are two methods of printer installation on Windows and Mac OS separately.
- Plugin the printer’s USB cable into your system (laptop or computer).
- Press and hold the printer’s turn on the button of at least 5 – 10 seconds.
- When the printer turned on, wait for another minute and it will prompt the installation process.
- If this does not prompt the installation process, click on the start button and search Printers and Scanners.
- Now click on Add a printer or scanner.
- A window will be open and your printer name will be displayed in the window. Choose your printer and a new installation window will be opened.
- Now follow the installation process which is different for different printers.
- Once it is done, your printer is successfully installed.
In prior to beginning the following steps, be sure that your printer is compatible with the Mac operating system. Look at your printer’s model number and name and check if it is compatible or not. If yes, then begin with the following steps.
- Attach your printer with your Mac through the USB port.
- You all need to have a USB-to-USB-C adapter from Apple to connect your printer with the Mac system in case if your USB does not fit into the Mac USB hub.
- Press and hold the printer’s turn on button.
- If you’re first time installing any printer on your Mac, you’ll receive an update of the installation. Or else, Mac will automatically detect your printer and notify you with the installation process.
- Click the install button and follow the instructions.
- Once it is finished, you are ready to use your printer.
Note: If your printer doesn’t have a USB cable then buy a new one.